Tanzanians Petition: BET Disqualify singer, Diamond Platnumz from this year’s Awards
A section of Tanzanians on Twitter have launched an online petition to have singer, Diamond Platnumz disqualified from the 2021 BET Awards.
The Tanzanian music star was nominated in the best international act category alongside other African heavyweights.
The petitioners accused Diamond of ‘actively and publicly supporting deceased Magufuli’s regime’, but remaining silent when fellow Tanzanian artists were imprisoned and abducted in 2017-2018 over video clips deemed obscene by the authorities. Over 17,000 people have signed the petition.
This is a call to BET Awards hosted and produced by Black Entertainment Television (BET) to disqualify Diamond Platnumz
Diamond Platnumz is a world-renowned Tanzania music artist who used his popularity and his talent to whitewash and deodorize the brutal repression of the late dictator John Magufuli and his regime. Diamond is also a close friend and business ally of Paul Makonda the former Governor of Dar -es-Salaam who has openly persecuted and cracked down on LGBTI people. Makonda has also been designated in 2020 by the US State Department for gross violations of human rights including cracking down on freedom of expression and association.
Tanzania has suffered brutal repression and roll back of democracy since 2016 when (late) President Magufuli ascended into power. His regime curtailed democratic freedoms, basic human rights and Tanzanians witnessed never-before experienced atrocities like enforced disappearances, bodies bound and gagged washing ashore the Indian ocean, mass illegal detention of opposition politicians, critics and businessmen, crackdown on independent media, intimidation of creative people including musicians, actors and comedians. A particularly shocking event has been the brutal gunning down of opposition legislator Tundu Lissu in broad daylight. Lissu survived with 16 bullets in his body to tell his story. He is currently living in exile in Brussels, Belgium.
In 2020, Magufuli ran for re-election under his party Chama cha Mapinduzi (CCM) . Mr Lissu risked his life and returned to run against Magufuli under his party’s ticket – CHADEMA. The election was marred with irregularities, violence including killing of innocent civilians by forces acting for or on behalf of the regime. In the immediate aftermath of the election, Magufuli and his henchmen arrested the leaders of the opposition party and threatened them with treason charges. Some opposition leaders saw family members killed. Today several opposition leaders live in exile, while hundreds still languish in jail on trumped up charges.
Magufuli was also a rabid COVID19 denier whose repeated refusal to follow internationally accepted guidelines on prevention and treatment of COVID19 resulted in many deaths that remain undocumented to date due to the refusal of the government to publish any figures related to COVID19 since May 2020.
ALSO READ;See Nigerians Reaction over the Statement of Gov. El-Rufai- ‘It cost over N400k to treat one COVID-19 patient’“A parade for me in Nigeria, a great honour!” – Donald Trump reacts to Anambra state-based church staging a rally for him
Diamond Platnumz’s role:
In 2016, Diamond made Paul Makonda the Patron of his music label and media company called Wasafi. Makonda has used the Wasafi Festival for publicity and to sanitize his image. Also throughout the increased level of repression when fellow artists were imprisoned and abducted Diamond remained silent. In 2017, he deliberately released a single called “Acha Nikae Kimya” (Let me remain quiet) as a response to the increasing demand from the public to speak up and condemn the crackdowns. Diamond to-date has not condemned or spoken up on any of the atrocities committed.
Diamond Platnumz is a self-avowed CCM party member and was the lead musician for the CCM campaign in 2015 and 2020. In 2020 despite a huge outcry locally and internationally against Magufuli and his regime, Diamond endorsed this brutal dictator, dedicated a song to him (“Magufuli Baba Lao”) and several times took to stage with him during campaign. In October 2020 during the #EndSARS protest in Nigeria, Diamond tweeted solidarity with Nigeria but deliberately chose to remain quiet on the atrocities happening in Tanzania during the elections.
After the BET Awards 2021 nomination for best international act, Diamond took to the media and spoke disparagingly of activists, then paid a visit to his party’s headquarters CCM whereby his nomination was hailed as some sort of achievement for the party and the nation.
Why Diamond should be disqualified:
- Diamond Platnumz has failed to show basic concern and publicly express any solidarity with his fellow artists like Roma Mkatoliki, Nay wa Mitego and Idris Sultan who suffered at the hand of the dictator Magufuli.
- Diamond Platnumz chose to protect and expand his personal and business interest by praising and using his star power to soften the image of a brutal dictator and his collaborators.
- BET awards have been always held in high esteem by many Africans for its recognition of talent of exemplary artists. The international act which was established in 2018 has consistently gone to artists who have been very conscientious and stood up for justice for African lives. Both Davido (2018) and Burna Boy (2019 and 2020) have been in the frontline at the #EndSARS protests using their star power and fame to shed light on injustice and even protect civilians from police brutality. Diamond Platnumz is a selfish, greedy opportunist and an apologist of a repressive regime who chose to deliberately turn a blind eye to atrocities and associate, praise and collaborate with renowned human rights violators like Paul Makonda and John Magufuli.
We believe that once BET independently verifies these facts, it will be clear that Diamond Platnumz does NOT deserve ANY recognition in these prestigious awards.
Wizkid’s new album reveals insight to background in Lagos
By Gistflash News
Sept 12, 2021
Nigerian musical icon, Ayodeji Balogun popularly known as ‘Wizkid’s recent album “Made in Lagos Deluxe” gave critical insight to his background in the city of Lagos.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the recent album which was released August, 27, is a continuation of Wizkid’s initial “Made in Lagos” album which dropped October 30, 2020.
NAN reports that the recent album had been doing numbers, selling fast ever since it was released.
The 18 track album with four new songs gives an insight to the background of Wizkid, with the name alone ‘Made in Lagos’ giving us a little outline on his career.
The album also depicts how humble Wizkid is to his hometown, Lagos State, for making him who he is today,
It said that the “Made in Lagos Deluxe” featured artistes like Buju and Canadian born singer Justin Bieber.
The album was meant to feature Bella Shmurda but because of the issue he had with his former record label he wasn’t featured but was used for adlibds in ‘Anoti’.
Justin Bieber hopped on the remix of Wizkid’s greatest hit song “Essence” featured alongside Nigerian singer, Tems, which he classified as “The song of the summer”
The remix of ‘Essence’ currently sits at number 18 on Apple Music Hot 100 America and 4th on Apple Music Hot 100 Nigeria.
“Mood” featuring Buju currently sits at number 1 on Apple Music Hot 100 Nigeria with “Anoti” sitting at number two respectively.
NAN reports the the album itself sits at number 1 on Apple Music Album Hot 100 Nigeria and debuted at number five in Apple Music Album Hot 100 America, which is the highest ever recorded for a Nigerian artiste.
The album has recieved several reviews from Wizkid’s fans and rival fans as some called it a hit album, while some also called it trash.
The album overall recieved more positive reviews than the negative reviews.
Nollywood actress Okojie makes 100 most influential African women’s list
By Gistflash News
Sept 11, 2021
Popular Nollywood actress, Mercy Johnson Okojie, has made it unto the list of 100 influential African women and was also named in Google’s most searched list.
The renowned actress, who said she was so excited by the recognition, took to her Instagram page @mercyjohnsonokojie to announce the good news with an emotional video in which she expressed gratitude to fans for supporting her after achieving major milestones.
According to the mother of four, her fans had continued to show love and support for her brand, pushing her to be better.
“I just wanted to say thank you so much to 11 million of you. You guys rock, you guys pushed my brand forward every step of the way.
“I’m so grateful, there’s no me without you, and don’t you ever think for one minute that I take you guys for granted.
“I’d never. Don’t stop loving my brand, don’t stop supporting, and don’t stop pushing. You guys rock,” she wrote.
Okojie said the recognition called for a great reason to celebrate, because she has added more feathers to her hat.
“Thanks for loving me through the years. I love you all too! No me without you. Giveaway loading,” the actress added.
The actress made the list alongside other influential women, including Aisha Yesufu, Angelique Kidjo, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, among others.
Mercy Johnson Okojie is an award-winning, multi-talented Nigerian actress. She is a popular Nollywood actress, who is loved by many because she seamlessly fits into any assigned role.
She is an embodiment of humility as well as one of the “most real” personalities in the movie industry, also involved in several personal businesses, including her trademark kitchen talk show.
Similarly, Mercy Johnson is the senior special assistant (SSA) to the Kogi state governor on entertainment, arts and culture.
She is married to Prince Odianosen Okojie and their marriage is blessed with four kids.
TStv gives customers 1 month free viewing to break monopoly
By Gistflash News
Aug 1, 2021
The Nigerian Direct to Home Pay TV Operator, TStv Africa, has announced zero naira viewing for users in the month of August.
TStv head of Corporate Affairs, Mr Demola Olarewaju, who made this known in a statement on Saturday in Abuja, said that the offer began from July 30, through Aug. 31, for all users of its decoders across the country.
Olarewaju said that the company had earlier apologised to users following a glitch in the transmission that made them unable to use their smart decoders.
He also said the company, on the new media platform, announced that viewers could now enjoy all their High Definition (HD) channels without being charged.
“TStv service is now fully up. As compensation for the downtime, we have made all TStv channels Zero Naira from July 30, 2021 till August 31, 2021.
“Kindly add as many channels as you want, you will not be charged one kobo for the next month. Thank you all,’’ he said.
TSTV, the first satellite TV to introduce pay per view in the country, launched its operation on Oct. 1, 2020.
The News Agency of Nigeria NAN reports that the new operator’s pay-as-you-view will whittle down the exploitation of satellite television viewers by former providers over the years.
LET’S REVAMP YOUR BUSINESS
Let’s keep you updated
HOW TO BUY FOLLOWERS FOR ALL YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS
Gorgeous Bride rocking one of Beyonce’s Hit song
Most Viewed Posts
- CBN Sells Polaris Bank To SCILSpread the loveThe Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has announced the completion of the sale of shares in Polaris Bank to Strategic Capital Investment Limited (SCIL), a new core investor. In a statement signed by its Director, Corporate Communications […]
- “No Way Back For You In Man United Squad, Spoilt Brat” – Darren Bent Slams RonaldoSpread the loveDarren Bent, a former Charlton, Tottenham and Sunderland striker, has suggested that the end of Cristiano Ronaldo has come at Manchester United. The former England man said he sees no way the former Real Madrid star can […]
- Gunmen Attack Anambra Police Station, Kill Four OfficersSpread the love Unknown gunmen in the early hours of Wednesday attacked a police station located in Atani, the headquarters of Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State. It was gathered that the gunmen launched the attack on the […]
- Supreme Court Affirms Six-Year Jail Term For Former Director Of Pensions, John YakubuSupreme Court Affirms Six-Year Jail Term For Former Director Of Pensions, John Yakub The Supreme Court has affirmed the six years imprisonment imposed on a former Federal Director of Pensions, Mister John Yakubu, and also ordered him to refund […]
- Media Intelligence agency Marks Six years of Operation in NigeriaSpread the loveMedia Intelligence agency Marks Six years of Operation in Nigeria. P+ Measurement Services, Nigeria’s foremost Independent Public Relations measurement and evaluation agency, celebrates its sixth year of effective operation with qualitative offerings for its numerous clients, as it […]