Police Officer Denies Beating Abuja Resident to Death
Police Officer Denies Beating Abuja Resident to Death
The Federal Capital Territory (FCT) Police Command denies allegations that a man was maltreated to death by policemen while enforcing the ban on the restriction of movement to contain the spread of COVID-19.
They said the clarification became necessary following a misleading information and video trending in some sections of the social media on the alleged death.
According to a statement by the Police Public Relations Officer of the Command, DSP Anjuguri Manzah, on Tuesday evening, contrary to the misleading information in circulation, the incident in question was not in any way linked to the action of police personnel.
Also Read: VIDEO: ZIMBABWEAN POLICE OFFICERS FLOGS CHURCH MEMBERS FOR DISOBEYING GOVERNMENT ADVISORY
A LITTLE BLACK BOY GIVES POLICE A PIECE OF HIS MIND AFTER BEING ACCUSED OF SHOPLIFTING
He said it was a pathetic case of a man who slumped around Bannex junction and was assisted by some operatives of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps.
The statement reads: “The attention of the FCT Police Command has been drawn to a misleading information and video trending in some sections of the social media, on the alleged death of a man who was maltreated by police operatives, while enforcing the ban on the restriction of movement to contain the spread of covid-19.
“Contrary to the misleading information in circulation, the incident in question is not in any way linked to the action of police personnel.
“Rather, it is a pathetic case of a man who slumped around Bannex junction and was assisted by some operatives of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, as it can be clearly seen in the video.
“It is therefore important to state that prior to the commencement of this exercise, the Command has properly briefed its personnel to be professional and civil in the enforcement of the directive. So far, the police personnel deployed for this task have displayed high level of professionalism that requires the commendation and support of FCT residents.
“While reaffirming the Command’s commitment to provide maximum security for FCT residents and ensure strict enforcement of the restriction of movement, to contain the spread of Covid-19, the Command wishes to advice members of the public to disregard the misleading information.”
Gunmen Attack Anambra Police Station, Kill Four Officers
Unknown gunmen in the early hours of Wednesday attacked a police station located in Atani, the headquarters of Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State.
It was gathered that the gunmen launched the attack on the police facility around 1:30 am on Wednesday.
A further report had it that four police officers were killed in the attack.
Since the emergence of Charles Soludo as the Governor of Anambra State there had been series of attacks on police and government facilities in the state.
Meanwhile, the spokesman of the state police command, DSP Toochukwu Ikenga, has confirmed the development.
He said, “The hoodlums came around 1 a.m., and unlucky for us, four police operatives paid the supreme price.”
“The Commissioner of Police, CP Echeng Echeng on hearing of the attack immediately mobilized men of the command from various units to the area.
“The hoodlums were still there when the CP personally led men of the command to the affected area, and the timely arrival saved the day and the hoodlums were successfully repelled, and the facility was saved.
“We have commenced intelligence already, and we hope to unravel the persons behind the attack.”
Troops repel attack, eliminate scores of terrorists/bandits in Sokoto — Official
By Gistflash News
Sept 27, 2021
Troops of Operation Hadarin Daji, in conjunction with other security agencies have eliminated scores of Islamic States for West African Province (ISWAP) terrorists and bandits in Sokoto State.
Defence Headquarters said on Monday in Abuja.
This is contained in a statement issued by the Director, Defence Information, Maj.-Gen. Benjamin Sawyer.
He said the terrorists were eliminated during a foiled attack on the Forward Operation Base (FOB) at Burkusuma, a remote border settlement with Niger Republic in Sabon Birni Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
“The aggressive operations of troops of the FOB as witnessed in recent months in the North West region, had been a thorn in the flesh of ISWAP terrorists and bandits.”
Sawyer stated that the attackers who came in large numbers using telecom network provided from neighboring country, capitalised on the lean rear area protection force.
“This was when the main troops were out conducting offensive operations within their area of responsibility.’’
He disclosed that, the troops recorded an undisclosed number of casualties during the encounter.
“However, the swift reinforcement by own troops helped to counter the attack as many of the ISWAP fighters were eliminated, while some scrambled with various degrees of injuries.
“Troops are currently in hot pursuit of the criminals to Bassira in Niger Republic,” he said.
Meanwhile, Nigerian and Nigerien forces in a collaborative operation are currently trailing the remaining ISWAP fighters.
“General security within the FOB and its environs has been stabilised,” he said.
Arms proliferation: Navy urges FG to build walls across borders
By Gistflash News
Sept 27, 2021
The Nigerian Navy has urged the Federal Government to build a wall across the country’s borders to stop proliferation of arms and ammunition.
Commodore Jemima Malafa, who represented the Nigerian Navy, said this during an interactive session on four bills pending before the House of Representatives Committee on National Security and Intelligence on Monday in Abuja.
“We should build a wall between our country and the neighbouring countries,” she said.
“I was in Chad recently and discovered that most of the countries that surround us do not have armouries and that is why most of their citizens get arms that they sell to make money.
“I blame foreign countries that sold and donated arms and ammunition for them without recourse to where they would keep them after use.
“It is as a result of this that Nigeria is in deep crisis; these arms and ammunition will always find their way to Nigeria.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the four bills – the first is a bill for an act to establish the National Commission against the proliferation of Small Arms and Light Weapons.
Others are a bill for an act to repeal the Explosives Act, and bill for an act to make provision for the integration of private Close Circuit Television (CCTV) into the national security network in Nigeria.
The last one is a bill for an act to designate the month of November as the National Appreciation Month for Security Agencies.
Mr Shehu Ahmed, representative of the Department of Security Service (DSS) in his contribution said the proposed bill for the establishment of the commission was commendable.
He, however, said that the appointment of members to be in charge of the commission should have nothing to do with politics because of the sensitive nature of the commission.
He said that the Director-General of the commission should not be encumbered with too much power, adding that people of questionable characters should not be allowed to work in such office.
He called for the independence of the commission, adding that henceforth, it did not have to source for staff from other security agencies.
He said that on CCTV, all the security agencies should have access to it to aide investigation of any kind, adding that the explosive act bill would help achieve the desired national security.
Commodore Friday Ogohi, a representative of the Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA) said that the bill on National Commission would help in the effective control of light weapons.
He said that the structure of the commission should be hinged on command and control, adding that membership should be drawn from existing security agencies based on experience.
He said that though the supervising ministry was not indicated in the proposed bill, adding that it was advisable that the Ministry of Defence oversaw the commission.
Ogohi also called for the establishment of special court to arrest the menace of arms smugglers and illegal arms, stressing that the CCTV would further boost the fight against bandits and other criminality.
According to him, public places such as schools, churches and work places should be considered for CCTV as this will help to monitor the activities of scavengers by security agencies.
Air Commodore Olasunkami Abu, who represented the Chief of Air Staff, said that proliferation of arms was posing a great threat to Nigeria’s socio-economic development.
He said that this portends a great danger to national security, adding that membership of the commission should be drawn from the armed forces and the immigration.
NAN reports that other security agencies that made presentation are the Nigeria Police, Nigeria Drug Law Enforcement Agency, among others.
LET’S REVAMP YOUR BUSINESS
Let’s keep you updated
HOW TO BUY FOLLOWERS FOR ALL YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS
Gorgeous Bride rocking one of Beyonce’s Hit song
Most Viewed Posts
- CBN Sells Polaris Bank To SCILSpread the loveThe Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has announced the completion of the sale of shares in Polaris Bank to Strategic Capital Investment Limited (SCIL), a new core investor. In a statement signed by its Director, Corporate Communications […]
- “No Way Back For You In Man United Squad, Spoilt Brat” – Darren Bent Slams RonaldoSpread the loveDarren Bent, a former Charlton, Tottenham and Sunderland striker, has suggested that the end of Cristiano Ronaldo has come at Manchester United. The former England man said he sees no way the former Real Madrid star can […]
- Gunmen Attack Anambra Police Station, Kill Four OfficersSpread the loveUnknown gunmen in the early hours of Wednesday attacked a police station located in Atani, the headquarters of Ogbaru Local Government Area of Anambra State. It was gathered that the gunmen launched the attack on the police […]
- Supreme Court Affirms Six-Year Jail Term For Former Director Of Pensions, John YakubuSupreme Court Affirms Six-Year Jail Term For Former Director Of Pensions, John Yakub The Supreme Court has affirmed the six years imprisonment imposed on a former Federal Director of Pensions, Mister John Yakubu, and also ordered him to refund […]
- Media Intelligence agency Marks Six years of Operation in NigeriaSpread the loveMedia Intelligence agency Marks Six years of Operation in Nigeria. P+ Measurement Services, Nigeria’s foremost Independent Public Relations measurement and evaluation agency, celebrates its sixth year of effective operation with qualitative offerings for its numerous clients, as it […]