Overnight Billionaire: Tanzanian Miner Sells Rare Gemstones for $3.4 Million
A small-scale miner in Tanzania has become an overnight billionaire after mining two of the biggest rough tanzanite gemstones ever found.
Tanzanite is found only in the East African country. Tanzania’s government however, bought the book-sized stones weighing 20 pounds (9 kg) and 11 pounds (5 kg) from the miner ‘Saniniu Laizer’ for $3.4 million.
Nile Dam: Ethiopia, Egypt, Sudan agree to AU-led talks Minerals Minister Doto Biteko said on state television the government is buying the rare minerals for preservation.
“We’re signing agreements today in public to facilitate the cash transfer … and the government recognizes Laizer is a new billionaire,” he said.
The two dark violet-blue gemstones, each about 30cm long and 10cm thick, were discovered by miners employed by Saniniu Laizer in a mine in the north of the country.
Speaking in terms of the local currency, Laizer has earned more than 7.74 billion Tanzanian shillings. Laizer said in a televised interview he plans to open a shopping mall and a school for his community.
“The money that I have received today, I will allocate it to more development activities,” he said. Tanzania is a rich country, President John Magufuli said when congratulating him.
However, Local and international reporting of the discovery has described the miner’s story as a “grass to grace” story saying he “hit the jackpot”.
Laizer runs a substantial mining operation involving more than 200 people, which he has funded with the profits of his extensive cattle and farming businesses, and was not present when the record-breaking discovery was made.
According to one of his managers, Laizer has logistics experts, engineers, geologists who help him in the planning of the operations. He doesn’t himself go to the pit to dig. He has a number of tried labourers who do the mining.
“It’s a really challenging experience. It’s tough of course, working in this dusty area. We inhale a lot of dust and get sick, but we haven’t lost the determination to work. We feel grateful that our boss has finally got these stones. We are planning to have roast meat together when we return to the mining site.” said the manager.
The first gemstone weighed 9.27kg and the second 5.103kg, a mines ministry spokesperson said. Both were found last week, but the discovery only became known when Laizer sold them to the government on Wednesday.
Being generous, He said that 10% of the earnings from the sale of the stones will be distributed among the workers.
Taliban leader says not less than 200 people in panjshir surrendered weapons
By Gistflash News
Sept 6, 2021
less than 200 people including 30 commanders surrendered to the Taliban in the Panjshir Province in Afghanistan, and their weapons and ammunition were seized by the militants, Taliban’s senior leader, Amir Khan Muttaqi, said on Monday.
“In Panjshir, 200 people including 30 commanders surrendered to the Islamic Emirate with their weapons and ammunition,’’ Muttaqi wrote on Twitter.
Earlier in the day, the Taliban claimed taking full control of Panjshir, while the National Resistance Front denied the claims as false, stressing that fighting was still underway.
Dana Air Chairman, Ogoro, elected President, Rimi Old Boys Association
By Gistflash News
Sept 1, 2021
Alhaji Ibrahim Francis Ogoro, Chairman, Dana Air, has been elected President, Rimi (St. John’s) College, Kaduna Old Boys Association.
Ogoro, a 1971 graduate of the 72-year-old institution, emerged president of the association in an election held at its National Convention in Abuja and attended by more than 300 delegates.
Other officers elected in the keenly contested exercise included Mr Mike Reis, Vice President; retired Commodore Daniel Hinga, National Secretary; Mr Dauda Sunama, National Assistant Secretary, and Alhaji Musa Haruna, Treasurer.
Mr Timothy Yusuf was elected Financial Secretary; Mr Hamza Yamel, National Legal Adviser, while Mr Oladele Sanya was elected National Public Relations Officer.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Ogoro replaces Malam Mamman Kabir, Registrar, Surveyor Council of Nigeria, who had served in that capacity for several years.
Earlier at the Convention, Kabir had said that his team achieved a lot while in office, but hinted that the new executive council would inherit “a myriad of problems and challenges”.
“You must quickly start on overdrive mode to reverse these problems; the most daunting of them is the financial status of the association,” he said.
Kabir appealed to the Kaduna State Government to speed up work on the Government Girls’ Secondary School (GGSS), Kawo, Kaduna which was gutted by fire, to end the temporary occupation of Rimi College by students of that school.
Students of Rimi College currently receive lectures in a primary school at Ungwan-Rimi, Kaduna after being ejected to give way to the students of the GGSS.
In his acceptance speech, the new President thanked delegates for the total support and confidence reposed in him, and assured them that all necessary steps would be taken to bring the college back to its former glory.
He commended the outgoing executive council for keeping the flag of the association flying in spite of the numerous challenges it faced.
“The problems will not be solved overnight, but my team will, as a matter of urgency, do everything possible to bring the old boys of the institution under one umbrella,” he said.
Ganduje presents staff of office to Emir of Bichi, Nasiru Ado-Bayero
By Gistflash News
Aug 21, 2021
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State, on Saturday, presented Staff of Office to the Emir of Bichi, Alhaji Nasiru Ado-Bayero, as the second Emir of Bichi.
LET’S REVAMP YOUR BUSINESS
Let’s keep you updated
HOW TO BUY FOLLOWERS FOR ALL YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS
Gorgeous Bride rocking one of Beyonce’s Hit song
Most Viewed Posts
- Home (40,436)
- Leaked Gay Sex Video: “I feel like I am going to commit suicide”- Nollywood actor, Godwin Maduagu Reacts (14,172)
- Discovery: Autopsies Prove that COVID-19 is a Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation (Pulmonary Thrombosis) (6,636)
- Reality Star, Amara La Negra Flaunts her Nude Body in Swimsuit (4,180)
- JUNE WISSE MIMICKING PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN’S INUAGURAL SPEECH (3,884)
- Governors from south of Nigeria back collection of VAT by statesSpread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 16, 2021 Governors from the south of Nigeria have expressed their support for the collection of Value Added Tax (VAT) by state governments. Gov. Rotimi Akeredolu of Ondo disclosed this while reading a […]
- NEDC flags off construction of 500 housing units in BauchiSpread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 16, 2021 North-East Development Commission (NEDC) in collaboration with the Bauchi State Government has commenced the construction of 500 mass housing units in Bauchi, to address housing deficit in the state. NEDC’s Managing […]
- Wada Maida’s eldest daughter lauds FG for naming NAN HQ after fatherSpread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 16, 2021 Eldest daughter of late Malam Wada Maida, Farida, on Thursday lauded President Muhammadu Buhari for naming the News Agency of Nigeria’s Headquarters after her father. Farida spoke to NAN in Abuja […]
- Corruption: Over $600bn of Nigeria’s money stolen since 1960 — MoghaluSpread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 16, 2021 Presidential hopeful, Prof. Kingsley Moghalu, on Thursday said that over 600 billion dollars of Nigeria’s money had been stolen through corruption since 1960. Moghalu, a former Deputy Director of the Central […]
- Inspector-General of Police, Alkali Baba,Spread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 16, 2021 The Inspector-General of Police, Alkali Baba, says the dispute between the Police Service Commission and the Police hierarchy over who should recruit policemen into the force has been resolved. Baba disclosed […]
- News6 days ago
Nigerians can now travel across 160 countries without Visa – Agency
- News6 days ago
Sanwo-Olu signs VAT Bill into law
- Crime4 days ago
NDLEA Seizes over 24,311kg of Fresh Heroin, Codeine, Cannabis at MMIA and Tincan Seaport
- Sports3 days ago
Pele to leave intensive care this week, daughter says
- News4 days ago
Sit-at-home, against Igbo interest, says Nnamani
- Foreign6 days ago
Vatican rejects Israeli criticism over pope comments on Jewish law
- Health6 days ago
Buhari urges striking doctors to return to work
- News6 days ago
VAT: Ortom promises to obey court’s decision no matter its leaning