Nigerian Correctional Service Denies the Alleged Reports of Releasing Maryam Sanda.
The Nigerian Correctional Service has denied reports that Maryam Sanda, the woman convicted and sentenced to death by hanging for killing her husband, had been granted a Presidential pardon, and released from the Kuje maximum prison.
Reports on social media has it that Maryann who stabbed her husband, Bilyaminu Bello, to death during an argument in their Abuja home in November 2017, joined the list of 2600 prisoners who were recently granted presidential pardon by President Buhari, last week.
In a statement released today April 16th, the spokesman of the service, Augustine Njoku, denied the report.
According to the statement,
“The Service wants to categorically state that the news is fake and very unrealistic and an attempt to rubbish the good intention of the President towards decongesting the custodial centre”.
Njoku said the Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, clearly stated the categories of inmates qualified for the amnesty which include:
• Convicts who are Sixty (60) years and above
• Convicts serving 3 years and above with less than 6 months to serve
• Inmates with ill-health likely to terminate in death
• Inmates with mental ill-health
• Inmates with option of fine not exceeding N50,000 with no pending case
• Convicted pregnant women
• Convicted women with child
• Convicted inmates with minor offences
• Convicted inmates who spent 75% of their sentence after remission.”
”It obvious that Maryam Sanda does not meet any of the above mentioned requirements and therefore did not benefit from the Presidential Pardon/Clemency.
We further want to assure the public that Maryam Sanda is in our custody and will remain as such.
The Controller General of Corrections Ja’afaru Ahmed wishes to assure the public that the Service will ensure the safety and humane containment of the inmates in our custody and therefore advice the public to discountenance the rumor that Maryam Sanda benefited from the presidential pardon.”
Sanda was sentenced to death by hanging on January 27th 2020 by an FCT High Court for killing her husband. She has approached the Court of Appeal in Abuja, asking the court to set aside the verdict and acquit her.
Police arrest 259 suspects over alleged banditry, kidnapping culpable homicide in Niger
By Gistflash News
Sept 18, 2021
Police arrested about 259 suspects over banditry, kidnapping, culpable homicide, rape, farmers/herders conflicts and other crimes in Niger in August.
Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Monday Kuryas, told the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Minna on Saturday that then crimes were committed in 25 local government areas of the state.
“We have charged 119 suspects out of the 259 arrested in court, 81 of them are still standing trial,’’ he said.
He added that 59 suspects were still under investigation at the state Criminal Investigation Bureau, while nine cases had been sent to the state’s Ministry of Justice for vetting and legal advice.
He explained that the command also recovered three locally-made single barrel guns, one Dane gun, and two locally-made pistols with three live cartridges.
The police commissioner also told NAN that the command tackled banditry in Ma’undu village of Mariga Local Government Area, which had been the stronghold of bandits.
He said that Area Commanders and Divisional Police Officers in the 25 local government areas had been directed to beef up security architecture in their respective areas of supervision.
“We appeal for support and cooperation from members of the public who should give us intelligence information that could aid in apprehending miscreants in their midst.
“We are battle ready to confront any person or group of miscreants undermining the peaceful nature our state is known for through well- coordinated security approaches to enhance peaceful coexistence among our people,’’ Kuryas said.
High populations of women, youths critical in combating insecurity –Minister
By Gistflash News
Sept 17, 2021
The Minister of Police Affairs, Alhaji Maigari Dingyadi, says the high populations of women and youths in Nigeria were critical to combating the myriad security challenges facing the country.
Dingyadi, who is also the Katukan Sokoto, was speaking on Thursday in Abuja when the National Executive Committee members of the Police Community Relations Committee (PCRC ), led by its National Chairman, Dr Faruk Maiyama, paid him a courtesy call.
” The women and youths have larger populations that play strategic roles in curbing the menace of insecurity in the nation like banditry, kidnapping, insurgency, cattle rustling and other crimes.
” The Federal Government would, therefore, continue to harness these demographic resources to make Nigeria safer and more secure .
” The women’s wing of the PCRC has also been diligent and committed in the discharge of their duties and I strongly believe that the sky will be their limit”, Dingyadi said.
He thanked the Federal Government and Nigerians for the sustained support they had been relentlessly extending to the ministry and the police.
The minister lauded the committee for its ceaseless efforts in facilitating the smooth operations of the police, saying, “Ensuring the security of lives and properties of all law abiding Nigerians is the responsibility of all patriotic Nigerians.
“We are satisfied with the roles you have been actively playing in this direction and you should not relent,” the minister added.
He underscored the importance of the various committees set up by the PCRC, saying, ” they have been serving as veritable links between the ministry, the police and the public.”
Speaking earlier, Maiyama commended Dingyadi for repositioning the ministry, as well as restoring confidence in the officers and men of the Nigeria Police Force.
” This is by respecting seniority in the appointment of the Inspector General of Police and ensuring the successful take off of the Police Trust Fund.
“” The Minister has also ensured the immediate implementation of the community policing policy nationwide, and the establishment of a police-public complaints committee in the ministry.
“The numerous achievements of the minister within a short period was what informed the decision of the National Executive Council of the PCRC to confer on him an Award of Excellence.
” This was in recognition for his contributions to the maintenance of peace and security in the country”, Maiyama said.
He implored Dingyadi not to rest on his oars until the peace and tranquillity for which Nigeria was known for were fully restored. (
Inspector-General of Police, Alkali Baba,
By Gistflash News
Sept 16, 2021
LET’S REVAMP YOUR BUSINESS
Let’s keep you updated
HOW TO BUY FOLLOWERS FOR ALL YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS
Gorgeous Bride rocking one of Beyonce’s Hit song
Most Viewed Posts
- Home (40,603)
- Leaked Gay Sex Video: “I feel like I am going to commit suicide”- Nollywood actor, Godwin Maduagu Reacts (14,172)
- Discovery: Autopsies Prove that COVID-19 is a Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation (Pulmonary Thrombosis) (6,636)
- Reality Star, Amara La Negra Flaunts her Nude Body in Swimsuit (4,180)
- JUNE WISSE MIMICKING PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN’S INUAGURAL SPEECH (3,884)
- I spent over N6m to treat COVID-19 – Actor Pete Edochie’s sonSpread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 18, 2021 Uche Edochie, son of Veteran Nollywood actor, Pete Edochie has said that he spent over N6 million to treat COVID-19 virus at an isolation treatment facility in Gbagada in Lagos. Edochie […]
- President Buhari attends UN General Assembly in New YorkSpread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 18, 2021 President Muhammadu Buhari will depart Abuja on Sunday for New York, United States of America, to participate in the 76th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA76). The session opened […]
- Police arrest 259 suspects over alleged banditry, kidnapping culpable homicide in NigerSpread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 18, 2021 Police arrested about 259 suspects over banditry, kidnapping, culpable homicide, rape, farmers/herders conflicts and other crimes in Niger in August. Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Monday Kuryas, told the […]
- Miyetti Allah chairman dies in the hands of kidnappers — officialSpread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 18, 2021 Miyetti Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) has announced the death of Alhaji Abubakar Abdullahi, also known as Danbardi, the association’s Chairman in Lere Local Government Area of Kaduna State. The […]
- Group debunks Fani-Kayode’s claim of planned defection by 3 governorsSpread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 17, 2021 The Northern Youths Leaders Forum (NYLF) says Gov. Bala Mohammed of Bauchi State has not and will never defect to APC as claimed by the party’s latest entrant, Femi Fani-Kayode The […]
- Sports4 days ago
Pele to leave intensive care this week, daughter says
- Crime6 days ago
NDLEA Seizes over 24,311kg of Fresh Heroin, Codeine, Cannabis at MMIA and Tincan Seaport
- News6 days ago
Sit-at-home, against Igbo interest, says Nnamani
- Foreign4 days ago
Taliban deny their deputy prime minister, Mullah Baradar, is dead
- News3 days ago
Stamp Duty: no recoveries yet – Malami writes 36 Governors
- News5 days ago
40MW Dadinkowa power project to receive FG intervention – Minister
- News4 days ago
Sit-at-home order in South-East counter-productive, says Orji Kalu
- Education5 days ago
Nigeria hosts 33rd UNESCO summit to enhance biodiversity conservation