Connect with us

Hot News

Minister Festus Keyamo Will not Handle the Recruitment of 774,000 Youths – Ahmad Lawan

Published

on

774,000 JOBS CONTROVERSY: Minister Keyamo Hands Over Recruitment 774,000 of Youths to NDE

Ahmad Lawan, President of the Senate declears that Festus Keyamo, Minister of State for Labour and Employment, will not handle the recruitment of 774,000 youths into the controversial federal government’s Special Public Works scheme.

Recall that the federal lawmakers last Tuesday, walked out Keyamo, following his refusal to apologize after the legislators accused him of raising his voice against them.

The incident happened at an investigative hearing organized by the National Assembly Joint Committee on Employment, Labour and Productivity.

Members of the joint panel had summoned the Minister and the Director-General of the National Directorate of Employment, Nasiru Argungu, to brief them on steps so far taken to recruit 774,000 across the country.

Keyamo had told the panel how he had set up a 20-member committee in each state to midwife the programme.

The whole chaos started when lawmakers queried Keyamo for allegedly engaging in lopsided recruitment without the active involvement of the NDE, the agency that got N52bn approval from the National Assembly to implement the programme.

The argument that ensued afterwards, led to a shouting match between both parties which later forced the lawmakers to drive Keyamo out of the meeting.

However, the National Assembly last week asked President Muhammadu Buhari to suspend the programme, following a face-off between one of his ministers and the joint panel of the two chambers of the federal parliament.

According to Lawan, in a resolution reached on Monday July 6th, the National Directorate of Employment will be fully in charge of the exercise.He said that the NDE and the Ministry Labour and Productivity must first explain the modalities for the recruitment process.

Lawan stated this during an interactive session with journalists in Abuja. He said,

 “Only NDE will implement this programme. The NDE led by the ministry of labour will have to come and explain.

“It will be unfair to say that we in the legislature and executive are not on the same page because of an action by someone in the executive.

“What the National Assembly is insisting on is in national interest.”

Comments
Please follow and like us:
Advertisement
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Pingback: Osinbajo Refutes Receiving N4Billion from Magu - GistFlash

Leave a Reply

Hot News

man arrested for allegedly killing his side chick

Published

on

Kenyan man and side chick

Detectives from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations (DCI) Kenya, have arrested a 38-year-old married man over the brutal murder of his girlfriend.

 

The suspect, Evans Karani is accused of murdering 25-year-old Catherine Nyokabi in Witeithie area, Juja in Kiambu County.

 

Married Kenyan man arrested for allegedly killing his side chick

 

Juja Sub-County Directorate of Criminal Investigations Officer (DCIO), Richard Mwaura, who confirmed the incident on Friday, April 16, said the suspect attempted to discard Nyokabi’s body on Wednesday but his efforts were thwarted by mud.

While transporting Nyokabi’s body in his car, Karani’s vehicle got stuck in mud on Bob Harris road in Juja, forcing him to flee, leaving the body and car behind, the DCI said.

 

Married Kenyan man arrested for allegedly killing his side chick

 

Police, who arrived at the scene following a report by locals, verified the car ownership from the National Transport and Safety Authority’s Registrar of Motor Vehicles.

 

A hunt for Karani was, consequently, launched by a multi-agency team comprising police, DCI officers and the agency’s Crime Research and Intelligence Bureau (CRIB) officer

 

On Friday morning, April 16, detectives, via phone signal, tracked down Karani to his rented house in Githurai Kimbo area, where they arrested the suspect.

 

The authorities said Nyokabi’s body had been burnt using a corrosive chemical.

 

“She was badly disfigured. Besides the burn injuries, she had bruises on the face and head. It appears she was tortured before being killed,” a detective told The Standard.

 

Authorities said the suspect confessed to killing Nyokabi, a hotel worker in Kahawa Wendani, following a bitter conflict, which they had been embroiled in for the past two weeks.

 

Karani, who is married, reportedly told police Nyokabi was his secret lover.

 

The deceased’s father, Gitonga Njogu, told The Standard that initial reports suggested his daughter, the first born in a family of four children, died in a road accident.

 

“On Facebook, certain people were claiming my child was killed in a car crash in Juja. However, when we got to see her body at the City Mortuary, we were shocked. The visible injuries clearly indicated Nyokabi’s cause of death was not a road accident as had been alleged,” said Njogu.

 

“My girl (Nyokabi) was hard-working, cheerful and very loving. Her future was promising,” said Njogu while attempting to balance a tear in his eyes.

 

The old man said Nyokabi had, in the past, introduced Karani to him as her suitor.

 

“I knew them to be lovers. Just like in any other relationship, they had differences, which I would help them iron out. Two weeks ago, my daughter said she and Karani had broken up. I told her, it was okay; she shouldn’t cling onto a relationship in which she was unhappy. That was the last time I heard of the suspect.”

 

Karani will be arraigned on Monday, April 19, when detectives would seek to detain him longer to allow for investigations to be completed.

 

Married Kenyan man arrested for allegedly killing his side chick Married Kenyan man arrested for allegedly killing his side chick

Comments

Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Hot News

Arms Procurement Investigation: “Issues of arms procurement were done by specific individuals, call these individuals to explain to you ” – COAS Ibrahim Attahiru tells House of Reps members

Published

on


A dramatic scene was recorded today April 13 after the Chief of Army Staff Lieutenant General Ibrahim Attahiru appeared before House of Representatives ad-hoc committee on arms and ammunition as part of the investigation into arms purchase by the military.


Attahiru refused to speak on arms procurement after presenting a document to the committee.


According to the COAS, he just resumed office and the issues surrounding the procurement of arms should be answered by the “specific individuals” who initiated the purchase.


He said;


“The submission before you speaks to the report before you. It is an executive summary. It is very self-explanatory to the extent that it has been pluralised. When you demanded this report, you stated a specific period for which you wanted it.

“You may wish to recall that the Chief of Army Staff took over the mantle of leadership barely two months ago.

“The period for which you want this report having been summarised in the executive summary explained whatever details you require.

“Issues of arms procurement that you so demand to know were done by specific individuals, I will rather you call these individuals to explain to you very specific issues the general explanation is contained in this report.”


A member of the committee, Ejiro Ogene had also faulted the COAS explanation for not appearing before the committee earlier.


Ogene said;


“When we ask you to come, the people are the ones speaking, sovereignty lies in the people; if we see it like this, things will be different.

“I expect that the COAS tenders an apology, not an explanation; you are serving the people and they are as your employer.”


Firing back at him, Attahiru insisted that his explanation serves as an apology. He said;


“When you say I offered an explanation, it is as good as an apology. It only tells you the reasons why I wasn’t here and the reasons are pungent enough.”


Following the rising tension at the proceeding, Chairman of the Committee Olaide Akinremi ruled that the hearing goes into a closed-door meeting and the media were asked to leave the hearing.

Comments
Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Hot News

25-year-old Nigerian man arrested for Scamming woman of N16million in India

Published

on

 

A 25-year-old Nigerian has been arrested in India for allegedly scamming a 62-year-old woman from Indore, Madhya Pradesh, of Rs 31.64 lakh (N16,048,923.81)

“The accused, Wisdom Obinna, from Imo State, was part of a gang that befriended women on social media and then scam them with lottery and gift frauds,” said Indore Cyber Cell Superintendent of Police, Jitendra Singh, on Friday, April 9.

“Obinna was arrest25-year-old Nigerian man arrested in India for duping woman of N16m ed from Delhi, where he was staying even after his business visa expired. Efforts are on to nab other members of the gang,” he added.

ALSO READ;

During the interrogation, the accused said that he came to India on Business Visa in 2014 and 2017. After the visa expired, he became active in cheating and used to operate from Delhi.

The gang members befriend Indian girls and women on Facebook by creating accounts with different foreign fake IDs.

After Wisdom has made friends with the women, he lured his victims by claiming he sent them some expensive gifts.

Later, other members of the gang pose as custom officers and demand money in the name of Tax and Penalty to get the parcel, send a message through bank account WhatsApp and get the money transfer. They would also threaten the victim with legal action.

Police recovered eight passbooks of various banks, three ATM cards, two laptops, three pen drives, 9 mobile phones, eight SIM cards, two dongles, passports and Rs 11000 in cash from the accused.

 

25-year-old Nigerian man arrested in India for duping woman of N16m

Comments

Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Let’s keep you updated

Advertisement

Instagram

Recent Tweets

Trending

error

We know you enjoy our storylines. Please spread the word to your friends :)

%d bloggers like this:
Enable Notifications    OK No thanks