fbpx
Connect with us

Coronavirus

Duke of Edinburgh: The world’s longest-serving consort in British History died at 99 (The Highlights & Photo News)

Published

on

Duke of Edinburgh: Prince Philip
Philip’s funeral will be held at St George’s Chapel at Windsor Castle, “in line with custom and with His Royal Highness’s wishes,” the College of Arms, which oversees many ceremonial aspects of the royal family’s work, said in a statement Friday.
The statement added that the duke would not have a state funeral, and that the funeral would not be proceeded by a lying-in-state.
“The funeral arrangements have been revised in view of the prevailing circumstances arising from the Covid-19 pandemic and it is regretfully requested that members of the public do not attempt to attend or participate in any of the events that make up the funeral,” the statement added.
The bells of London’s Westminster Abbey, where Prince Philip married Queen Elizabeth more than 70-years-ago, rang on Friday evening in honor of him.
Gun salutes will be fired across the UK at noon on Saturday, the UK Ministry of Defence wrote in a statement. “Across the United Kingdom, in Gibraltar and on HM Ships at sea, saluting batteries will fire 41 rounds at one round every minute for 40 minutes,” it wrote.
“The public are encouraged to observe the gun salutes from home, they will take place behind closed doors but broadcast online and on television,” the statement added.
More details on funeral arrangements are expected to be confirmed by Buckingham Palace on Saturday, according to a royal source.
The royal family joined the British government in asking the public to not gather at the royal residences, in light of coronavirus restrictions, and “make a donation to a charity instead of leaving floral tributes in memory of The Duke of Edinburgh.”
An online condolences book has been launched on the family’s official website for those who wish to leave messages, Buckingham Palace said.
The College of Arms also gave details for the period of mourning, stating that all “official flags, including the Union Flag, will be flown at half-mast from now until 08:00 on the day following the funeral.”
Charles, the Prince of Wales, visited his mother the Queen on Friday afternoon, traveling from his Gloucestershire home to Windsor Castle, a royal source told CNN.
The source also said the Prince of Wales had been in constant contact with his father since his hospitalization in February.
Prince Harry and Meghan, the Duchess of Sussex, said Britain’s Prince Philip would be “greatly missed,” in a statement following the news of the death of Harry’s grandfather.

ALSO READ;

Prince
Set on a full-screen dark background, the message, which was posted on the front page of the couple’s Archewell charity, simply reads: “In loving memory of His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh, 1921-2021. Thank you for your service … you will be greatly missed.”
British Prime Minister Boris Johnson paid tribute to the duke, saying that he’d “earned the affection of generations here in the United Kingdom, across the Commonwealth, and around the world.”
US President Joe Biden and first lady Jill Biden said in a statement: “Philip gladly dedicated himself to the people of the UK, the Commonwealth, and to his family. The impact of his decades of devoted public service is evident in the worthy causes he lifted up as patron, in the environmental efforts he championed, in the members of the Armed Forces that he supported, in the young people he inspired.”
Former US President Barack Obama praised the late Prince as “an extraordinary many” who “showed the world what it meant to be a supportive husband to a powerful woman,” he wrote on Facebook.
“Yet he also found a way to lead without demanding the spotlight — serving in combat in World War II, commanding a frigate in the Royal Navy, and tirelessly touring the world to champion British industry and excellence,” he added.

A lifetime of service

Philip, also known by his official title of the Duke of Edinburgh, was the longest-serving British consort. He married the then Princess Elizabeth in 1947 after a courtship that charmed a country still reeling from the ravages of World War II.
In his seven decades of service, Philip often accompanied the Queen on royal engagements, and conducted thousands of his own solo appearances. He once referred to himself as “the world’s most experienced plaque unveiler,” while the Queen lauded him as her “constant strength and guide.”
The duke was known for off-the-cuff remarks that often displayed a quick wit but occasionally missed the mark, sometimes in spectacular fashion. Philip continued making public appearances well into his 90s, retiring only in August 2017.
He supported a number of philanthropic endeavors and was associated with around 800 organizations. He founded the Duke of Edinburgh Awards Scheme, a youth development program that operates in more than 130 countries and territories around the world.
After retiring, Philip spent much of his time at the Queen’s rural Sandringham estate. He was occasionally seen in later years at private family events such as the weddings of the Duke and Duchess of Sussex, and of Princess Eugenie to Jack Brooksbank, both at Windsor Castle.
Philip’s advanced age meant that his health had been the subject of much media focus in recent years. In December 2019, he was taken to hospital as a “precautionary measure” for what Buckingham Palace described as a “pre-existing” condition. He had previously been admitted to hospital on multiple occasions for a variety of reasons, including for a hip replacement and for treatment for bladder infections.
The duke was born the Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark on the Greek island of Corfu in 1921. He left Greece aged 18 months with his family when King Constantine was forced to abdicate after a revolt by Greece’s war-stretched military forces. The family moved first to Paris and later, in 1928, to England.
Philip had an itinerant childhood, educated variously in the UK, France, and Germany.
He became a decorated naval officer for his service during World War II, and when peace returned, rekindled an earlier friendship with Elizabeth that quickly blossomed into a public romance.
In order to marry, the duke renounced his Greek title, became a naturalized British subject and took the surname Mountbatten, derived from his mother’s side of the family. The marriage ceremony was held at Westminster Abbey in 1947. He and Elizabeth had four children: Charles, Anne, Andrew and Edward.
Tributes for the duke have flooded in from all over the world, including the Commonwealth nations of India, Australia and Canada. Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi said he had “distinguished career in the military and was at the forefront of many community service initiatives. May his soul rest in peace.”
Australia’s Prime Minister Scott Morrison said Philip “embodied a generation that we will never see again.” Canada’s Justin Trudeau said “Prince Philip was a man of great purpose and conviction, who was motivated by a sense of duty to others. He will be fondly remembered as a constant in the life of our Queen.”

Comments
Please follow and like us:
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Coronavirus

COVID-19: NCDC reports 26 new infections in 5 states

Published

on

COVID-19: NCDC reports 26 new infections in 5 states

By Gistflash

June 6, 2021

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has reported 26 new COVID-19 infections from five states, as of June 5.

The NCDC announced the new statistics on its official website on Sunday morning.

It noted that the new cases were registered from five states, with Akwa-Ibrom, Lagos and Cross River having the highest with eight cases.

“Seven states with 0 cases reported: the FCT, Nasarawa, Plateau, Rivers, Sokoto and Taraba,” it stated.

The agency noted that 400 community recoveries from Lagos State was managed in line with its guidelines.

The public health agency stated that the new figure had raised the total confirmed infections in the country to 166,756, as of June 5.

The NCDC said that  no new death was recorded on Saturday. thus the total fatalities remains 2,117.

It noted that the country’s active case was about a thousand plus.

It added that a total  of 162,994 people have now been discharged since the disease began spreading across the country.

According to NCDC, Nigeria has tested 2,113,061 samples out of her more than 200 million people.

The agency said that a multi-sectoral national emergency operations centre (EOC), activated at Level 2, continues to coordinate the national response activities.

(NAN

Comments
Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Russia will not provide free vaccination to foreign citizens – Putin

Published

on

By Gistflash

June 4, 2021

Russian President Vladimir Putin said on Friday that Russia would not vaccinate foreign citizens against COVID-19 for free.

“There is a practice where people from different countries, including businessmen, the chiefs of large European and other companies, intentionally come to Russia to receive a vaccine against the coronavirus.

“In this regard, I request the government to analyse until the end of the month all aspects of this issue in order to create for foreign citizens conditions for paid vaccination in our country.’’

He stressed the given requirements on safety and sanitary control of the pandemic.

Putin said this in the ongoing St. Petersburg International Economic Forum.

Comments
Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

Coronavirus

“the economic crisis triggered by the COVID pandemic might to lead to the global unemployment of more than 200 million people by 2022” -ILO

Published

on

"the economic crisis triggered by the COVID pandemic might to lead to the global unemployment of more than 200 million people by 2022" -ILO

The International labour Organisation (ILO) says the economic crisis triggered by the COVID pandemic was expected to lead to the global unemployment of more than 200 million people by 2022.

ILO noted in its’ World Employment and Social Outlook: Trends 2021′, (WESO Trends), on Wednesday, that women and youth workers were worst hit by the economic crisis.

It stated that although the nations would emerge from the ongoing health crisis, “five years of progress towards the eradication of working poverty have been undone” nonetheless.

“We’ve gone backwards, we’ve gone backwards big time. Working poverty is back to 2015 levels; that means that when the 2030 Sustainable Development Agenda was set, we’re back to the starting line,” said ILO Director-General, Guy Ryder.

The worst-affected regions in the first half of 2021 had been Latin America and the Caribbean, Europe and Central Asia, all victims of uneven recovery.

They’ve seen estimated working-hour losses exceed eight per cent in the first quarter and six per cent in the second quarter, far higher than the global average.

Women have been hit “disproportionately” by the crisis, seeing a five per cent employment fall in 2020, compared to 3.9 per cent for men.

“A greater proportion of women also fell out of the labour market, becoming inactive,” ILO said, noting that additional domestic responsibilities had resulted from lockdowns, which risked a “re-traditionalisation” of gender roles.

Youth employment has also continued to suffer the economic downturn, falling 8.7 per cent in 2020, compared with 3.7 per cent for adults.

The most pronounced fall has been in middle-income countries where the consequences of this delay and disruption to the early labour market experience of young people “could last for years,” ILO warned.

ALSO READ;

Pandemic-related disruption has also brought catastrophic consequences for the world’s two billion informal sector workers.

Compared to 2019, an additional 108 million workers worldwide are now categorised as poor or extremely poor – meaning that they and their families live on the equivalent of less than 3.20 dollar per person, per day.

According to ILO, global unemployment will reach 205 million people in 2022, up from 187 million in 2019.

The Geneva-based organisation also projected a “jobs gap” increase of 75 million in 2021, which is likely to fall to 23 million in 2022 – if the pandemic subsides.

“The related drop in working-hours which takes into account the jobs gap and those working fewer hours, amounts to the equivalent of 100 million full-time jobs in 2021 and 26 million in 2022.

“This shortfall in employment and working hours comes on top of persistently high pre-crisis levels of unemployment, labour under utilisation and poor working conditions,” ILO stated.

The ILO report maintained that although global employment recovery should accelerate in the second half of 2021, it would. however. likely be an uneven recovery.

NAN

Comments
Please follow and like us:
Continue Reading

LET’S REVAMP YOUR BUSINESS

Let’s keep you updated

Advertisement

Instagram

HOW TO BUY FOLLOWERS FOR ALL YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS

GET YOUR E-BOOKS

get post notifications

Get new posts by email

How to know when you meet Mr./Mrs. Right- Banky W.

Gorgeous Bride rocking one of Beyonce’s Hit song

Most Viewed Posts

Trending

error

We know you enjoy our storylines. Please spread the word to your friends :)

%d bloggers like this:
Enable Notifications    OK No thanks