Consumers Commends NASS for their Intervention Over the Planned Implementation of Electricity Tariff Hike
Electricity consumers in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT), commends the Senate for their intervention which led to suspension of the planned implementation of electricity tariff hike by the Electricity Distribution Companies (DisCos).
Recall that the DisCos proposed an increase in tariff from July 1, but following Intervention by the National Assembly, the action was suspended.
The consumers spoke with NAN in separate interviews in Abuja on Sunday. Mr Dimeji Macaulay, the Director, Movement for a Socialist Alternative (MSA) hailed decision of the Senate to suspend implementing of the increment.
Macaulay said that the MSA was happy with the suspension but wants the increment in electricity tariff stopped.
“Nigerians are presently suffering from too much payments of bills.
“We demand for a restructuring of the power sector democratically controlled by the elected trade Unions, community members and also youths to provide accountability, adequate supply of power and transparency.
“We also want the Discos to immediately provide prepaid meters for all consumers.
“We also want the National Assembly to follow up with the Executive Bill to criminalize estimated billing as has been proposed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives Femi Gbajabiamila,” he said.
According to Macaulay, the movement is of the opinion that the Federal Government should provide palliatives and incentives to Nigerians as the coronavirus (Covid-19) pandemic has affected their businesses.
Mr. Okpe Sunday, the Executive Secretary, Manufacturing Association of Nigeria (MAN) Abuja, Nasarawa and Niger chapter, also commended the National Assembly for their timely intervention in suspending implementation of the hike in electricity tariff.
He said that the timing of the increase was not right as a lot of manufacturers were still battling with the effect of the COVID-19 pandemic on their businesses.
“Increasing electricity now is not the right thing to do as most of our members are still trying to put their businesses together after the COVID-19 pandemic.
“What the government should be thinking of now is how to assist manufacturers stay in business after the loss most of them encountered due to the effect of COVID-19.”
So, we want to commend the National Assembly for their timely intervention on the issue,” he said.
Mr Tayo Oluseyi, a Fashion Designer in Lugbe, FCT described the intervention of the lawmakers as a welcome development. According to Oluseyi, power supply is not constant yet the DisCos are planning to increase tariff.
Mrs Sharon Madu, a Stylist said that she was happy that NASS intervened in the matter. “Our businesses are suffering due to constant blackouts and yet the DisCos are increasing tariff, let them improve power supply before any increase,” she said.
Taliban leader says not less than 200 people in panjshir surrendered weapons
By Gistflash News
Sept 6, 2021
less than 200 people including 30 commanders surrendered to the Taliban in the Panjshir Province in Afghanistan, and their weapons and ammunition were seized by the militants, Taliban’s senior leader, Amir Khan Muttaqi, said on Monday.
“In Panjshir, 200 people including 30 commanders surrendered to the Islamic Emirate with their weapons and ammunition,’’ Muttaqi wrote on Twitter.
Earlier in the day, the Taliban claimed taking full control of Panjshir, while the National Resistance Front denied the claims as false, stressing that fighting was still underway.
Dana Air Chairman, Ogoro, elected President, Rimi Old Boys Association
By Gistflash News
Sept 1, 2021
Alhaji Ibrahim Francis Ogoro, Chairman, Dana Air, has been elected President, Rimi (St. John’s) College, Kaduna Old Boys Association.
Ogoro, a 1971 graduate of the 72-year-old institution, emerged president of the association in an election held at its National Convention in Abuja and attended by more than 300 delegates.
Other officers elected in the keenly contested exercise included Mr Mike Reis, Vice President; retired Commodore Daniel Hinga, National Secretary; Mr Dauda Sunama, National Assistant Secretary, and Alhaji Musa Haruna, Treasurer.
Mr Timothy Yusuf was elected Financial Secretary; Mr Hamza Yamel, National Legal Adviser, while Mr Oladele Sanya was elected National Public Relations Officer.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Ogoro replaces Malam Mamman Kabir, Registrar, Surveyor Council of Nigeria, who had served in that capacity for several years.
Earlier at the Convention, Kabir had said that his team achieved a lot while in office, but hinted that the new executive council would inherit “a myriad of problems and challenges”.
“You must quickly start on overdrive mode to reverse these problems; the most daunting of them is the financial status of the association,” he said.
Kabir appealed to the Kaduna State Government to speed up work on the Government Girls’ Secondary School (GGSS), Kawo, Kaduna which was gutted by fire, to end the temporary occupation of Rimi College by students of that school.
Students of Rimi College currently receive lectures in a primary school at Ungwan-Rimi, Kaduna after being ejected to give way to the students of the GGSS.
In his acceptance speech, the new President thanked delegates for the total support and confidence reposed in him, and assured them that all necessary steps would be taken to bring the college back to its former glory.
He commended the outgoing executive council for keeping the flag of the association flying in spite of the numerous challenges it faced.
“The problems will not be solved overnight, but my team will, as a matter of urgency, do everything possible to bring the old boys of the institution under one umbrella,” he said.
Ganduje presents staff of office to Emir of Bichi, Nasiru Ado-Bayero
By Gistflash News
Aug 21, 2021
Gov. Abdullahi Ganduje of Kano State, on Saturday, presented Staff of Office to the Emir of Bichi, Alhaji Nasiru Ado-Bayero, as the second Emir of Bichi.
LET’S REVAMP YOUR BUSINESS
Let’s keep you updated
HOW TO BUY FOLLOWERS FOR ALL YOUR SOCIAL MEDIA ACCOUNTS
Gorgeous Bride rocking one of Beyonce’s Hit song
Most Viewed Posts
- Home (40,608)
- Leaked Gay Sex Video: “I feel like I am going to commit suicide”- Nollywood actor, Godwin Maduagu Reacts (14,172)
- Discovery: Autopsies Prove that COVID-19 is a Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation (Pulmonary Thrombosis) (6,636)
- Reality Star, Amara La Negra Flaunts her Nude Body in Swimsuit (4,180)
- JUNE WISSE MIMICKING PRESIDENT JOE BIDEN’S INUAGURAL SPEECH (3,884)
- I spent over N6m to treat COVID-19 – Actor Pete Edochie’s sonSpread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 18, 2021 Uche Edochie, son of Veteran Nollywood actor, Pete Edochie has said that he spent over N6 million to treat COVID-19 virus at an isolation treatment facility in Gbagada in Lagos. Edochie […]
- President Buhari attends UN General Assembly in New YorkSpread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 18, 2021 President Muhammadu Buhari will depart Abuja on Sunday for New York, United States of America, to participate in the 76th Session of the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA76). The session opened […]
- Police arrest 259 suspects over alleged banditry, kidnapping culpable homicide in NigerSpread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 18, 2021 Police arrested about 259 suspects over banditry, kidnapping, culpable homicide, rape, farmers/herders conflicts and other crimes in Niger in August. Commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Monday Kuryas, told the […]
- Miyetti Allah chairman dies in the hands of kidnappers — officialSpread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 18, 2021 Miyetti Cattle Breeders Association of Nigeria (MACBAN) has announced the death of Alhaji Abubakar Abdullahi, also known as Danbardi, the association’s Chairman in Lere Local Government Area of Kaduna State. The […]
- Group debunks Fani-Kayode’s claim of planned defection by 3 governorsSpread the loveBy Gistflash News Sept 17, 2021 The Northern Youths Leaders Forum (NYLF) says Gov. Bala Mohammed of Bauchi State has not and will never defect to APC as claimed by the party’s latest entrant, Femi Fani-Kayode The […]
- Sports4 days ago
Pele to leave intensive care this week, daughter says
- Crime6 days ago
NDLEA Seizes over 24,311kg of Fresh Heroin, Codeine, Cannabis at MMIA and Tincan Seaport
- News6 days ago
Sit-at-home, against Igbo interest, says Nnamani
- Foreign4 days ago
Taliban deny their deputy prime minister, Mullah Baradar, is dead
- News3 days ago
Stamp Duty: no recoveries yet – Malami writes 36 Governors
- News5 days ago
40MW Dadinkowa power project to receive FG intervention – Minister
- News4 days ago
Sit-at-home order in South-East counter-productive, says Orji Kalu
- Education5 days ago
Nigeria hosts 33rd UNESCO summit to enhance biodiversity conservation